We at One Source Home Services are anticipating another cold season here in our area. One of the worst scenarios is to have your furnace or other heating unit go out in the middle of it. Unfortunately, this is when we see the most business and the challenge becomes getting our techs to you in a timely manner. To minimize the chance that this happens to you, we will share the most common Sudbury furnace repairs so you may be on the lookout.
1. Lack of or No Maintenance
Did you know that lack of or too little maintenance is one of the leading causes of furnace repair? It is essential to have regular maintenance performed on the unit. It is a complex piece of equipment with many different components. Regular maintenance not only helps avoid unnecessary repairs, it also helps improve the unit’s efficiency and extends its lifespan.
An important part of furnace maintenance is regularly changing the filter. However, there is much more to it. Having a professional check the components, power source, thermostat, and more will help to find any problems before they become a major repair. We recommend having a trusted professional in your area do this before the beginning of the cold season.
2. Minor Failures in the Furnace
Certain issues may be causing the breakdown in your furnace that are fairly minor. For example, the thermostat may be broken or in many cases the batteries need to be changed. You should make sure it is connected properly, set it to heat, and then set the temperature to warmer than usual. You may also go the fuse box and turn the switch off and on if you have an electric furnace and the know how. Those with the knowledge regarding a gas furnace should check that the pilot light is on.
3. Component Failure
Component failures can happen from time to time, even with regular furnace maintenance. A few of the most common furnace breakdowns are due to:
- Cracked or Damaged Heat Exchanger – The heat exchanger is a crucial component to the furnace creating hot air. It is commonly damaged due to lack of maintenance. Click here to learn more about the importance of heat exchangers.
- Issues With the Ignition or Pilot Control – These components are what turn the furnace on and off as needed. They must be professionally inspected and repaired.
- Issues With Ball Bearings – The bearings help keep components in place. They can wear out over time, get misshapen, and damage the components. You may hear odd, scraping sounds coming from the furnace when this occurs.
More on The Most Common Sudbury Furnace Repairs
Finally, we do not recommend that you attempt to perform advanced furnace repairs on your own. You need expert knowledge on all the furnace components, electrical and power sources, and much more. The technicians at One Source Home Services are professionals in performing a range of furnace diagnosis and repairs as well as selection, installations, replacements, upgrades, and more for the Sudbury and surrounding areas. Contact our team today to get a free, no-obligation quote on your Sudbury furnace repair services.