Electrical Safety Tips Every Homeowner in Sudbury Needs to Know

Published on June 26, 2024
electrical outlet with cord plugged in

Electrical safety is important for every homeowner in Sudbury, Ontario. With cold winters and hot summers, homes need electrical systems for heating, cooling, and other things. Keeping these systems working well can prevent accidents and keep your family safe. Let’s take a look at things you should pay attention to in order to keep your electrical services running smoothly and to know when to call an electrical contractor.

Know Your Electrical Panel

Your electrical panel controls the power to all your appliances, lights, and outlets. It’s good to know where it is and how to turn off the main power in case of an emergency. Make sure your panel is easy to find and labeled for easy access. If you’re unsure about how to use it, an electrical contractor can help.

Inspect Your Electrical System Regularly

Inspections can help find problems. Look out for frayed wires, scorch marks on outlets, or a burning smell. If you notice any of these, call an electrical contractor right away.

Don’t Overload Outlets

Plugging too many devices into an outlet can cause it to overheat and possibly start a fire. Try not to use too many devices in one outlet or power strip. Instead, spread out your devices across multiple outlets.

Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs)

GFCIs help keep you safe from electric shocks by turning off the power if there’s a problem. They are important in places with water, like bathrooms, kitchens, and outside. Install GFCIs in these areas and test them every month to make sure they are working properly.

Replace Damaged Cords Immediately

Damaged or frayed electrical cords are dangerous. Check your cords and replace any that show signs of wear. Don’t use a damaged cord, as it can cause a shock or fire. When purchasing new cords, look for those certified by a testing organization such as UL (Underwriters Laboratories).

Keep Electrical Appliances Away from Water

Water and electricity are dangerous together. To prevent electric shock, keep appliances like hairdryers, toasters, and portable heaters away from sinks, bathtubs, and pools. If an appliance gets wet, unplug it immediately, and do not use it until it is completely dry.

Be Careful with Extension Cords

Extension cords are useful, but they can also be dangerous if not used properly. Don’t run them under rugs or furniture, as this can cause them to overheat. If you tend to use extension cords a lot, a call to an electrical contractor may be in order. You may need more electrical outlets installed, especially if you have an older home.

Install Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors

For home safety, it’s crucial to have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Place them on each floor of your house, particularly close to bedrooms. Make sure to test them regularly and change the batteries at least once a year. These detectors can alert you early to electrical fires or carbon monoxide leaks from your appliances.

Hire a Professional for Electrical Work

DIY electrical repair work can be dangerous and is not recommended. Always hire a licensed electrical contractor for any electrical repair or installation. This will ensure all work is done safely and correctly.

Electrical Safety

Electrical safety is important for protecting your home and family. Make sure that your electrical systems are regularly inspected and maintained. This can reduce the risk of accidents. For your electrical needs in Sudbury, a team of skilled professionals at One Source Home Services is dedicated to providing top-notch service and ensuring your home’s safety. Contact them today and find out more.

Savings To Help All Families 

We have many specials right now that include rebates on heat pumps up to $6,500.

You may also like…